Friday, November 6, 2015

CAUSE FEMINISM RULES???!!

EXCELLENT READ! BUT HMMMMMMM    
BOOK TITLE: FEMINISIM: The Essential Historical Writings
PUBLISHER: RANDOM HOUSE,Inc. -New York
FIRST EDITION: YR 1972
So I picked up the above book at my local library for a whopping ONE dollar, took it home, got comfy and opened the first page , I purposely read the following from beginning to end, what I usually do is read who wrote it first , then the year. But this time I said no I will read this quote from beginning to end and not see who wrote it and what year. Here it is:
"We who like the children of Israel have been wandering in the wilderness of prejudice and ridicule for forty years feel a peculiar tenderness for the young women on whose shoulders we are about to leave our burdens...The younger women are starting with great advantages over us. They have the results of our experience; they have superior opportunities for education; they will find a  more enlightened public sentiment for discussion; they will have more courage to take the rights which belong to them... Thus far women have been the more echoes of men. Our laws and constitutions, our creeds and codes, and the customs of social life are all masculine origin.
The true woman is as yet a dream of the future.

ELIZABETH CADY STANTON
at the age of 72 , speaking to the International
Council of Women, yr. 1888 

I highlighted and wrote this last sentence in BOLD. Why? Because of the date. When I got to the bottom of this I was appalled that Ms.Stanton had said this in the 19th Century. I really, really thought this was going to say something along the decades of the 1950's or 60's related to the Mad-Men era. But WTF, we have not made progress! Case in point: myself. How demeaning and alive chauvanism is. 
Example:
"Well they sold you a Lemon because they see you are a woman" - Insert surprised emoji look here to mechanic.
"Excuse me are you a sales-rep for Bayer, cause I see you are at this conference"
"Are you a lawyer, ? I'm asking because you are dressed in a pant-suit"
"Are you a nurse?" Because you seem to know and speak the medical lingo

This happens to me everyday, and so with more frequency than the average lady, because I am a woman and a Minority in business. And I am proud of this. 
I am glad that other women like myself are writing newsletters , airing podcasts galore!!!
Example: LENNY NEWSLETTER
Brought to you by @lenadunham (from @girlshbo fame) +Jeni Konner
everyone should subscribe: lenny@lennyletter.com
or on Twitter : +LENNY 
Please we need the 21st century to start TODAY!!!
LADIES UNITE
xo +latinabug nj




No comments:

Post a Comment